Owensboro’s award-winning, summer-long, free music festival celebrates its 23rd season with more than 60 bands and adding yet another new event and venue to the Friday night party series.
“Our guests can enjoy almost a mile of music and fun for free this season,” said Meredith Keller, this year’s Chairwoman. “We’re producing seven venues of entertainment every Friday for 16 consecutive weeks filled with music, food and fun with the magic of the Lazy Dayz playground, costume characters and special themes each week and it’s all free.”
The season begins May 17th and continues through August 30th, Labor Day weekend.
The Glenn’s Gospel on the River series expands to include three Worship on the Water shows featuring contemporary Christian music and a new film series, Movie Night at the Museum.
“We had such good response to our Christian show last year, Glenn Family Services is sponsoring three Worship on the Water concerts in Cannon Hall this year,” relays producer Cathy Mullins. That series joins the already popular Gospel on the River southern gospel series in Cannon Hall.
Glenn Family Services has also agreed to sponsor a new family film series, Movie Night at the Museum, which will take place in the new Bluegrass Music and Hall of Fame Museum.
“We wanted to take part in the fun at Friday After 5 and have planned five Fridays of free, family-friendly movies at the Hall of Fame,” said Carly Smith, marketing director for the Bluegrass Music Hall of Fame and Museum. Like all events and venues, the movies are free.
2019 Season Highlights:
- More than 60 bands and entertainers performing this season
- The Atmos Courtyard will again feature acoustic entertainment all sixteen Fridays.
- The Kroger Street Fair will feature sixteen different themes and host a dozen food trucks.
- Two new sponsors, The Women’s Hospital of Deaconess and Ruoff Home Mortgage have teamed up to bring a great line-up of party bands to The Kentucky Legend Pier at the Owensboro Convention Center.
- Sixteen different sponsors have teamed up to bring new and returning favorite bands to the RiverPark Center Patio.
- Glenn Family Services will sponsor 7 free Gospel on the River and Worship on the Water series concerts in Cannon Hall along with the new Movie Night at the Museum series in the Bluegrass Center’s Woodward Theatre
- We will again host “Class PreUnions” at no charge throughout the season
- The KWC FA5k race, Hall’s Lighted Boat Parade and weekly appearances by TD’s Costume Characters will join Have a Nice Day Mobile Entertainments’ free FA5 Foto Booth.
All Events are free.
The patio stage features a live dance band each week. Acoustic artists take the stage in the Atmos Energy Courtyard. More than 20 loved costume cartoon characters will be featured at the Kroger Street Fair along Veteran’s Boulevard and the brand new season of Gospel on the River and Worship on the Water series.
“We are working on a special idea for the Overlook”, said Board Vice-Chair Paula Vuksinic. “It’s a unique venue and we hope to have a special announcement regarding entertainment on that stage in just a couple of weeks.”
“With seven venues now, the best way to access all of the information on the bands and fun is to download the Friday After 5 app,” said Board Chair Jay Velotta. “It is always up to date and it’s an easy way to put the entire summer in your pocket.”
Friday After 5 was named the Platinum Winner as “Community Event of the Year“ in the most recent Reader’s Choice awards and has been nominated again this year.
The complete season is listed on the Friday After 5 website www.FridayAfter5.com and on the free Friday After 5 app available for download from Google Play or iTunes.